Friday, October 21, 2011

 Breast Cancer Awareness Month is October!!!

The following is cut and pasted directly from  http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/About-Breast-Cancer/Myths.aspx

The Myth

Finding a lump in your breast means you have breast cancer.

The Truth

If you discover a persistent lump in your breast or any changes in breast tissue, it is very important that you see a physician immediately. However, 8 out of 10 breast lumps are benign, or not cancerous. Sometimes women stay away from medical care because they fear what they might find. Take charge of your health by performing routine breast self-exams, establishing ongoing communication with your doctor, and scheduling regular mammograms.


       On this bright and chilly morning, I'm writing a bit early  because I have an appointment today for a lump I have found.  While I'm relatively sure it's nothing to worry about, there certainly is no reason to ignore the pesky bugger or just hope it will go away.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am now 40 and my body is changing.  Actually, I found my first lump at the ripe old age of 24, just three months after my wedding.  That one turned out to be nothing, as did the second one I found when I was 33, about six months after having my last child.  My point is, just because I'm sure it's nothing and the past has been good to me, it would be in very poor judgement for me to just let it go.  I have my boys to think about and I plan to be here for a very long time.  If you haven't done so this month, remember to do your own breast exam.  The site above is a bevy of information. 

      What has been your experience with breast cancer?  I'd love to hear from you!
     


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! I love celebrating the awareness month, and empowering/supporting women.
    I was happy to read this information because I didnt know a lot about check ups. When I was really young (probably 16) I found a lump but it went away after a few weeks. It really scared me, but I made sure to always check if any other had occured. That same year a girl from my volleyball club died from beast cancer, so it can really occur at any age.

    kaithuber.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very scary. I worked with a girl who got Breast Cancer at 25 and battled for 5 years. Praise God, she's well and now has a teenage son! You're right, it's never too early. There are too many stories not to!

    ReplyDelete